Key risk factors include:
- Experiencing a hypoglycemic event where blood glucose levels dropped below 54 mg/dl and required immediate attention within the past year
- Experiencing altered mental or physical status requiring assistance during a severe hypoglycemic event in the past year
- Among individuals who manage their blood sugar with insulin or medicines like sulfonylureas that increase the risk of hypoglycemia
- A documented A1c of less than 7% in the past six months or
- At least one other relevant chronic medical problem
These are important findings and may assist caregivers in preventing hypoglycemic events/negative outcomes for our residents living with a diabetes diagnosis.