Did you know…
- Falls in assisted living communities account for 50% of liability claims
- 80% of falls go unwitnessed
- Falls can cost up to $50 billion/year
- 72% of falls occur in the resident’s bedroom
- 44% of residents indicate that their mobility aid was out of reach
Interesting statistics, right? What is alarming is that 80% of falls go unwitnessed and 72% occur in resident rooms! With COVID-19, isolation is a real problem for our seniors and falls may be one of many negative outcomes.
That said, did you ever think use of mobility aids would contribute to or increase a resident’s risk for falls? Statistics tell us it is true and that having too many mobility aids can cause residents to be confused as to which one to use. What we should do is try to limit the number of mobility aids each resident has so that the resident doesn’t become confused.
Please stay aware, be sure that residents at risk are observed frequently, and provide activities to keep them engaged. Remember to stay the course, stay strong, stay well, stay safe, mask up, and stay tuned!
Source: Safely You (October 2020). Groundbreaking Fall Insights & Virtual Fall Huddles. Health Care Association of Michigan 2020 Annual Convention & Expo. Virtual Event.